Monday, January 19, 2015

53

53. This is the number of women that Creighton's chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma was blessed to welcome into our sisterhood this past Saturday on bid day. While I am very excited to welcome these young women into my life, I spent the last week going through a roller coaster of emotions searching for these new members.


If you are in a sorority, you know that recruitment can be a brutal time period. Each day you cheer, dance, smile, and spend hours in a room (or a house if you have one) in order to do recruitment the way it is supposed to be done. I did not eat a real meal for a week straight and was unable to see my friends outside of Kappa. While I absolutely love the women in Kappa and while all of my best friends are in Kappa, I found myself being absolutely warn out after a week of together time. By Saturday, my emotions were all over the place leaving me deliriously happy one hour and crying the next. My inner introvert was screaming for attention that it had not been paid and I lost five pounds from cheering for several days in a row.


Though all of this is true, I do not regret going through recruitment this year one bit. I hope to leave a legacy behind in my sorority even if that simply means that I am remembered as being a welcoming person. I hope to make Kappa as wonderful for our new members as it has been for me these past three years. If that means cheering, dancing, and engaging in small talk for several hours over the course of a week, then I will do it because Kappa is worth it for me and so are the new members.


I am so happy to say we have 53 new members to welcome into our organization, but I am also happy to finally find a semblance of normalcy these next few weeks. I look forward to being able to see my guy friends and boyfriend on a more regular basis. I look forward to being able to enjoy a drink with friends on occasion. I look forward to staying in my room all day just because I feel like it, but most importantly, I look forward to getting to know the last new member class that I will have the pleasure of meeting this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment