Monday, January 5, 2015

Going Greek

In a week, I will be in the midst of formal women's sorority recruitment at Creighton. This means I will be jumping up and down screaming my chapter's cheers, talking with countless PNMs (potential new members), and spending twelve to sixteen hours each day with my sisters. This is my last recruitment and as I see all of the Greek women at Creighton encouraging those who are not Greek to go through recruitment, I find myself reflection on my own Greek experience.

As a second-semester freshman, I knew nothing about Greek life. I had watched a few episodes of Greek on ABC family, but that was the extent of my knowledge. I found myself becoming insecure about whether or not I would remember each chapter's letters, philanthropies, colors, and mascots and was unsure of whether or not I was really a "sorority girl." That being said, I would not allow myself to quit and I found myself accepting a bid to Kappa Kappa Gamma at the end of the week.

Freshman year bid-day
Throughout the past four years, Kappa has been a formative, life giving, beautiful experience and I know that this is true for women in other chapters on campus. As a freshman, I made so many mistakes. Though I learned from them, I am not necessarily proud of them. Kappa picked me up in these contentious moments. Kappa has taught me how to be a strong leader and how to live a life of integrity. Kappa has given me a network of women who support me when I fall down, but who empower me to be the best version of myself.

The best little 
I am not sure where I would be without Kappa or without Greek life in general. All I know is that by going Greek, I found my lifelong friends, have found a home of love and compassion, and I have found out what it means to be a part of something much greater than myself.

Formal 2014 with my favorites
I am scared of what life as a Greek alum will look like and look forward to indulging in every last minute of my time as an active, but I look to these moments with great joy.

High school art teacher who is also a Kappa
I am so excited for those going through recruitment to find what I have found even if that means not joining an organization. Being Greek has made me a better person and I am proud to call myself a sorority girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment